I wanted to do something extra nice for Husband on Valentine’s Day. He’s not really a big candy-munching guy. In fact, he still has quite a bit left of his Christmas candy so buying him any variation of the big ol’ heart box full of chocolate didn’t make much sense. However, I still wanted to give some sweets to my sweetie. What to do? I decided to turn him his favorite Scottish Shortbread it into Valentine’s Day Shortbread.
Here’s how I did it. In addition to an oven, you will need:
1 cup of softened or melted butter
2 cups of white flour
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
¼ teaspoon of salt
A mixing bowl
9 x 9 inch baking pan
Pastry brush or knife
A small dish of water
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees (F).
2. Combine the butter, flour, confectioner’s sugar, and salt in the mixing bowl.
3. Use your hands to mix the dry ingredients into the butter. (Trust me on this, it’s much easier to get a thorough mix of the ingredients if you use your hands than if you try to use a mixer or a spoon.)
4. Pat the dough into the ungreased 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
5. Dip the pastry in the bowl of water, use the brush to level, and smooth out the top of the shortbread.
6. Use the chopstick to pierce the dough in a heart shape every half inch or so.
7. Pop the shortbread in oven and bake it until golden brown for 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Remove the shortbread from the oven and cut it into squares while the shortbread is still warm.
9. Serve your Valentine a square of lovin’ from the oven.
Did you enjoy this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Condo Blues RSS Feed or to Condo Blues by Email.
Giveaway Time! Like gift cards over cash? That's cool. Enter my $50 Kroger Gift Card Giveaway for a chance to win a $50 gift card to Kroger from All You! The giveaway begins April 7, 2014 and ends April 28, 2014. Good Luck! Click to enter the $50 Kroger Gift Card Giveaway here! Good luck!
Follow Condo Blues on Google+