While I absolutely loved Sex in the City the series, I was disappointed in the first Sex in the City movie. I felt it was an example of a writer’s cheat. The “hey, let’s create drama by breaking up all of these happy couples we spent the whole series trying to get together” plot device.
I am optimistic for Sex in the City 2 and if it is anything like the soundtrack, I think I am going to much happier. Even though Alicia Keys
How much you wanna bet Carrie’s impractical but fabulous
sunglasses are going to be very popular this summer?
The Sex in the City 2 movie sound track is my new roll the windows up, crank the volume, and sing at the top of my lungs in the car CD. Generally, those CDs are to Broadway shows. I think this qualifies because Liza Milleni sings on it. Yep, Liza sings Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” and makes it sound like a show tune. At this point in her life, I don’t think Liza cannot sing anything without making it sound like a show tune. Not that I’m dissing Liza! She is Judy’s daughter and for that fact alone, she is Broadway Royalty! And a gay icon.
A good chunk of the movie is set in Abu Dabi; the other is a gay wedding with Liza! The music reflects that - two extremely danceable settings. In fact, I got caught dancing to the Sex in the City 2 soundtrack by my neighbor when I was supposed to be cleaning out the garage. Note to self: shut the garage door next time I listen to it.
Can anyone tell me what. is. up. with those epaulets on Samatha's dress?
The Sex in the City 2 soundtrack is suitable for car karaoke. Especially, “I am Woman.” To be brutally honest, the song is fun to crank up and sing to because it is a female empowerment anthem. I’m not recommending that Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis or Cynthia Nixon, dump their current movie careers for musical theater. It sounds like they had fun doing it, but know your limits ladies. Leave that to Liza, K?
In case you’re wondering. Here’s the play list.
- Alicia Keys “Rapture”
- Dido “Everything to Lose”
- Cee Lo “Language of Love”
- Erykah Badu “Window Seat”
- Natacha Atlas “Kidda”
- Michael McGregor “Euphrates Dream”
- Liza Minnelli “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)”
- Ricki-Lee "Can't Touch It"
- Alicia Keys "Emire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down"
- Jennifer Hudson and Leona Lewis "Love Is Your Color"
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon “I Am Woman”
- Sex and the City Men’s Choir “If Ever I Would Leave You”
- Sex and the City Men’s Choir “Sunrise, Sunset”
- Sex and the City Men’s Choir “Till There Was You”
- Shayna Steele, Jordan Ballard, Kamilah Marshall “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered”
- Liza Minnelli with Billy Stritch “Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye”
- Cyndi Lauper “True Colors” – LOVE! More hairbrush karaoke!!
- Aaron Zigman “Divas and Dunes”
Disclosure: I received a free copy of The Sex in the City 2 soundtrack from the One 2 One Network for review. I was not compensated for this review or to say nice things about the soundtrack. All opinions are my own and longtime readers know I am highly opinionated.
Further Disclosure: I dance when apparently people are watching and am a kick butt car karaoke singer.