I had a stack of colored paper, a brand new Sizzix Big Shot die cutting and embossing machine and the 10 dies from the Sizzix Big Shot Balancing Act Value Pack (courtesy of Sizzix and The Balancing Act on Lifetime TV) sitting in front of me on the craft room table.
I should be able to whip up a cute card in no time with all of this stuff, right?
Not so much.
I couldn't come up a design I liked and was feeling out of my element because I don't do paper crafts very often. Thanks a lot Pinterest!
Then it hit me. The Big Shot die cuts fabric (my comfort zone), as well as the paper, card stock, metal (think soda pop can thin type) I tested while I was figuring out how I wanted to make the birthday card.
Fabric got my creative wheels turning. If I can die cut fabric, I wonder if the Big Shot can emboss ribbon?
Let's find out.
To make this tutorial go more easily, let me show you all of the items that come in the Sizzix Big Shot Balancing Act Value Pack in the video below so you know what I'm talking about in the tutorial. My lovely assistant Lacey appears in her first video as she helped me unbox all of the goodies in the offer.
At the risk of sounding like a commercial, you get a lot for your $139.99. If you bought everything that comes in the Balancing Act Value Pack separately it would cost you $318.99.
Embossed Ribbon and Metal Birthday Card
Sizzix Big Shot Machine
Sizixx Textured Impressions Embossing Folders
Satin fabric ribbon
Fabric Stiffener - very important!
Movers & Shapers XL Die Set - Card, Vertical Note & Three Window Panes
Extended Cutting Pad
White card stock
Blue card stock
Thin disposable pie plate/metal takeout container
Glue that works on ribbon - I like this kind of glue for this project
Craft knife (self healing cutting mat like this one optional but recommended)
Disclosure: I am including affiliate links in this post for your convenience.
1. Use the paintbrush to apply the fabric stiffener to the wrong side (the dull side) of the ribbon and allow it to dry.
I need to wash my brushes better. The smattering of glitter paint is from another project.
2. Place the ribbon into the embossing folder and get ready to make a sandwich. No, not to eat. To use for embossing silly!
Each type of Sizzix die and cutting material is sandwiched between two cutting pads on the correct thickness (or not) of cutting platform for that die type. Don't worry the Big Shot has it all printed on the tabs of the extended cutting platform otherwise, I'd forget what needs what too.
Flipping the tab to the die's directions automatically gives you the proper width of the cutting platform you need to use with that die
3. Make a sandwich with the ribbon in the embossing folder in between two cutting pads and place it on the cutting platform opened to Tab 1.
Crank up the jams!
4. Turn the crank to move the sandwich through the Big Shot and emboss the ribbon. Remove the ribbon from the sandwich.
5. Place the magnetized three window die on the left side of the open area of the Movers and Shapers Die.
This is an extended die. It cuts the windows and embosses the fold line on the card for you.
6. Make a sandwich using an Extended Cutting Pad, the Movers and Shapers Die, the white card stock, topped with an Extended Cutting Pad and crank it though the Big Shot with the Cutting Platform. Remove the card from sandwich.
After I took this photo I decided I liked the card folded with the squares to the right.
7. Use the procedure in Step 6 to cut the blue card stock.
8. Use the ruler, craft knife, and self healing mat to cut the blue card stock to fit the front of the card.
9. Layer and line up the windows of the blue card stock onto the white card stock and glue it into place.
10. Cut the ribbon to fit inside of the windows of the card with the scissors and glue it into place.
Backside of the embossed ribbon
11. Use the whale embossing die and the procedure in Steps 2 - 4 to emboss the whale onto the thin metal takeout container.
Let's hear it for taking leftovers home from the restaurant for an easy lunch the next day and impromptu craft supplies
12. Use the scissors to cut the whale and spout from the takeout container.
13. Use the glue dots to glue the whale and spout into place.
Click here for more information about Sizzix Big Shot Balancing Act Value Pack. It is a screaming deal that saves you 56% over the standard price!
While you are at it check out The Balancing Act on Lifetime TV and my Balancing Act Blogger Community food blog.
Did you enjoy this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Condo Blues RSS Feed or to Condo Blues by Email.
Disclosure: I am a Balancing Act Community Blogger for The Balancing Act on Lifetime TV. I received a sample product for this review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by receiving product or The Balancing Act.