Friends in my community marching band pestered me so much about joining concert band that I finally gave in. I dusted off the flute I haven’t even looked at since high school.
Needless to day, the flute joints were dry. After a long household search I found a jar of petroleum jelly buried in the back of a cupboard I was going to use to grease my flute joints.
That got me thinking. Are there were any eco friendly and non toxic alternative to petroleum jelly?
Google told me that my middle school music teacher was wrong. I should polish the joints on my flute to make them fit smoothly, not grease them with petroleum jelly. Good to know.
I was still curious about nontoxic petroleum jelly alternatives because there are times when I need to use it as a skin barrier. Nine Naturals offered to send me samples of their no bad stuff added Simply Natural Lip Balm and Repairing Body Balm to try. I like that Nine Natural products are 100% Natural. Sulfate-free, Paraben-free, Phthalate-free, BPA-free, Triclosan-free, DEA-free, and Petrochemical-free. Natural products don’t contain artificial chemicals, dyes or synthetic fragrance either.
I have a very bad history with natural ingredient lip balms chapping my lips because they often contain honey. Not to mention I was confused about the difference between the Repairing Body Balm and their Unscented Moisturizing Pregnancy Body Cream both sounded like heavy duty moisturizers. I mentioned my concerns because I was tipping toward, “no thank you.” Nine Naturals quickly sent me answers to my questions.
- Nine Naturals products can be used by anyone. You don’t have to be pregnant, nursing, or even a woman to use them.
- Simply Natural Lip Balm is vegan. No honey in it to potentially chap my lips! I was intrigued. I use lip balm constantly. Would a vegan lip balm works on my I-don’t-care-if-you-want-safer-products-we-want-parabens lips?
- The Repairing Body Balm is a vegan and non-toxic alternative to petroleum jelly.
9 Health and Beauty Uses for Non Petroleum Jelly Balm
I used Simply Natural Lip Balm and Repairing Body Balm to replace the typical petroleum health and beauty uses. And you know what? In all cases they worked just fine. I’d say better because the Nine Naturals products are not sticky, gloppy, and greasy like petroleum jelly.
1. Soften cracked, callused, or dry feet. I have ugly callused dancer feet. After several nights of applying Nine Naturals Repairing Body Balm to my calluses and wearing socks to bed to keep the balm on my feet and off the sheets, my rock hard calluses are softening for the first time in forever. Sorry, no photos. I don’t want to gross you out.
2. Keep your nail polish on your. Make nail polish mistakes easy to clean off your skin by applying a little on the skin around your. When your nails are dry, wash your hands. The nail polish mistakes wash right off your skin.
3. Remove a ring from a swollen finger. My ring finger swelled in the humidity. I ran a bit of Repairing Body Balm above the ring on my finger and it came off with a gentle pull.
4. Gloss your lips. I’d use Repairing Body Balm in a pinch or if my lips were so dry they cracked but I prefer to use Nine Naturals Simply Natural Lip Balm every day so my lips don’t get to that state. I can’t use most natural and DIY lip balms because the honey in most of the recipes dries out my lips and makes the problem worse. Simply Natural Lip Balm doesn’t do that because it is vegan. It like all Nine Naturals products don’t contain sulfates, parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, DEA, synthetic fragrances, or artificial preservatives. Yay!
5. To Wear Essential Oil as Perfume or lengthen the life of perfume. Some essential oils can make you break out if they are used directly on your skin. Instead of mixing it with a messy carrier oil, I dab a bit of balm on my skin and add my favorite scent. The scent will last longer too.
6. As a protective skin barrier. If I spent too much time in the water as a kid, I used to get giant itchy welts. After failing to find out what caused it my parents prevented it by covering my skin in a petroleum jelly to act as a barrier between my skin and the water. I tested using Repairing Body Balm instead and it works just as well. I feel a lot better about using it on my skin too.
7. Soften dry hands. Your hands are so dry that daily moisturizer doesn’t make a dent, use the same technique to soften your hands as you can your feet. Apply Repairing Body Balm to your hands before you go to bed (gloves optional) to soften your hands.
8. To protect or heal wind burned skin. My mother used to slather my face in petroleum jelly to protect it from the harsh winter winds whipping off Lake Erie. She also used it to heal windburns when I managed to escape the house without a petro face coating. Repairing Body Balm protects and heals my skin from windburn in the same way. The only difference is I don’t have to sneak out of the house to avoid nasty chemicals on my skin!
9. To protect your skin from henna and hair dye. Running a ring of Repairing Body Balm on your skin just under your hairline will stop hair dye and henna from accidently stain your skin. This can be a big, big deal if you are dying your hair bright red or blue!
Did you enjoy this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Condo Blues RSS Feed or to Condo Blues by Email.
Disclaimer: Nine Naturals supplied samples to facilitate this post. This did not have any influence on my opinion because all opinions are 100% my own.