Pin this post for later!
Once I got on a creative roll, I upcycled a bunch of old business cards into gift tags I’m not ashamed to tie onto our Christmas gifts this year. I have so many handmade stash buster gift tags, that I’m going to turn this craft project into a blog series. Come craft with me!
How to Make Embossed Gift Tags for Hanukkah or Christmas
While I made the blue and gold Christmas a gift tags specifically for our misguided family members who are University of Michigan fans.
If you celebrate Hanukah, the blue and silver version are perfect for you too!
By offsetting the die cut, I solved how to design around the old URL printed on what I what I want to be the front of my gift tag. Clever, right?
You will need:
Cardstock Or old business cards
Scrapbook paper Or cardstock and metallic gold paint or metallic silver paint, and a paint brush
Sizzix Big Shot ,Sizzix Moves & Shapers Dies Kit #2 Card, Vertical Note, Sizzix Embossing Folder 656799 Or One inch square paper punch
Sizzix Big Shot Tags die Or Tag paper punch Or 1/8 circle paper punch and scissors
Glue or glue stick (tip: I spread white school glue with a dedicated paint brush so it won’t get wrinkly and dry bumpy)
Ribbon, bakers twine, or crochet thread
Optional but recommended: Binge watch The Man in the High Castle while you work. I always stream a show or music while I create, do you? (If you don’t have Amazon Prime you can try it Amazon Prime start free 3 free trial here for 30 days. We originally got it for the free two day shipping and keep it for that and the free video streaming since we don’t have Netflix.)
1. Cover a piece of card stock with broad, messy (I mean artful) strokes of metallic paint in the color of your choice with a paint brush and allow it to dry. If you already have gold, silver, or glittery scrapbook paper you can skip this step.
2. Embossed some of the painted or scrapbooking paper using the Big Shot and embossing folder for interest if deserved.
3. Use the die cutting machine, tag paper punch, or scissors and 1/8 inch round punch to cut 2 business cards or cardstock into a gift tag shape.
4. Die Cut Directions: Use the Sizzix Big Shot and Sizzix Moves & Shapers Dies Kit #2 Card, Vertical Note to die cut three squares on a business card.
Paper Punch Directions: Use the square paper punch to punch three squares into the
6. If you filled your card windows with embossed paper, glue a another piece of blank card stock or side of a business card to make an embossed paper sandwich so you can write the To and From names on the gift tag.
7. Tie a length of ribbon, bakers twine, or crochet thread to the hole in the tag.
We’re not worried about the information on these old business cards being comprised when we give it away as a gift tag. The companies we used to work for were bought out and no longer exist. They belong to that Great Company Buyout in the Sky now.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.
Did you enjoy this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Condo Blues RSS Feed or to Condo Blues by Email.
Post a Comment
I love comments and read them all! If you’re shy and don’t want your opinions made public, you can always email me at condoblues [at] gmail [dot] com.