I Christmas shop year round for items as well as for ideas. That way I have time to make sure my gift is meaningful to the recipient. It spreads the spending out throughout the year so I never have to pay with credit. Sometimes I buy and sometimes I DIY it really depends upon what I think the person will like or need that year.
Jenn of The Green Parent suggested to those of us in The Green Mom’s Carnival with craftier blogs could write about gifts/decorations that folks could make with the stuff they already have around the house as a way to offer suggestions on how to celebrate the holidays without going overboard.
This year my DIY options are severely limited. I killed my sewing machine last year making Christmas gifts. Seriously. The thing won’t run. At. All.
Since I can't make anything new, I went through some old posts and came up with 30 ideas for homemade holiday gifts for women and girls, men and boys, families, and your little dog too!
7 Homemade Gifts for Women and Girls
1. Peppermint and Kahula Sugar Scrubs While you’re at it make a little extra for yourself for some holiday pampering.
2. Buttercup purses I got so many compliments on the purse that I made for myself that I made them for others as gifts. This is a great stash buster project!
3. Microwave Soy Candles My mom makes these candles with glasses and containers she buys at her local thrift store.
I dearly love these candles – HINT. (Got that Mom?)
4.Woven Ribbon and Washer Bracelet
I always get compliments on this bracelet when I wear it.
I think ironing is evil, hence the flaming skulls.
6. Hair Bow Barrettes are so crazy simple and cheap to make I can't believe I actually bought hair bows back in the day!
7. Lavender sachets I used lavender I dried from my garden but you can buy dried lavender buds at The Container Store for the same purpose.
4 Homemade Gifts for Men and Boys
4. Pajama/Sleep pants Husband and I live in the fleece pairs she made for us. Since all of the organic material was baby themed, I went with licensed sports team fabric in fleece or cotton depending upon where the person lived. They were a hit! Especially the fleece pants. Girls will appreciate this gift too.
5 Homemade Gifts for Dogs
At my house, dogs get Christmas gifts and have a Christmas stocking. I'm not ashamed to admit it.
1. Personalized dog towel I found this orphan organic cotton towel on sale and made into a towel for Blitzkrieg's dog cousin Chopper. Yeah, the dogs have organic towels. Do I? No. *pout*
2 Braided fleece dog chew toys I make these from the fabric scraps from projects I do throughout the year and sometimes old towels too worn for another reuse. They are the only toy that lasts longer than a day with Chopper, who likes to live up to his name by chewing things. Lots of things.
3. Allergy Free Apple and Banana Dog Treats Both Blitzkrieg and Chopper are allergic to corn and wheat. It's easier to make their treats so I know exactly what is in them.
Blitzkrieg says hi
4. Paw Print Dog Blanket I made this blanket from a dollar store baby blanket and scarves for a craft challenge but you could easily do the same thing with scrap fabric.
5. Dog Bowl Wall Art and a Raised Dog Feeder
7 Homemade Family Gifts
1. Corn hole bean bags and game boards I sewed the bags and built the game boards because I'm awesome like that.
2. Cloth Napkins Using this gift of Christmas napkins got me into the habit and let me ditch disposable paper napkins altogether.
3. His and His Embroidered Towels Of course you could also make this for a His and Hers or a Hers and Hers house too.
4. Framed Kid Art Miss M drew this picture of Blitzkrieg when she was four. I love it.