It is disappointing.
Inauguration Day was exciting but it was also an endurance test. The day started early with a little DIY to stretch my too small hat with an ice bucket in my hotel room bathtub.
There's no way I was going to actually drink it.
The crowds cheered.
As a lifelong Buckeye I make fun of Ohio a lot (in fact I'm wearing my Columbus Cow Tipping Team sweatshirt as I type this post.) but I have never been so proud to represent my state as I was that day. I carried our state flag (which is technically a pennant) with honor. It was an After School Special moment.
I’ll leave you with what I told him. This will most likely be the first and last time I blog about it here because while important to me, it is not related to DIY and Condo Blues is a DIY blog. However, if I am going to anger and lose more readers over this, which I can almost guarantee, then you deserve a better explanation than I like to twirl flag and my friends asked me to join their marching band.
- I am marching at the request of my President. I would go no matter which side won the election because I love my country even when our politicians refuse to work together.
- I am marching to celebrate the peaceful exchange of power (from same person to same person but still historically peaceful.) Sadly there are countries in the world that don't have that.
- I am marching because we support the equal treatment of everyone, especially our personal community of co-workers and friends some so dear to Husband and I we consider them family.
- I am marching because getting a job, a place to live, worshiping at a religious institution, having your relationship legally recognized, or visiting your partner in life at the hospital and making decisions for them if need be should not depend upon your type of union.
- I am marching for every person who still has to speak in code in certain situations.
- I am marching because a former co-worker was severely beaten by two men who decided to spend an evening beating up gays and only stopped when they realized she was not a man but an androgynously dressed woman.
- I am marching for everyone afraid for their safety if they hold their beloved's hand in public.
- I am marching for every person who was a beloved family member until they came out to their family.
- I am marching for the millions of men and women in the military who until recently couldn’t serve openly and were considered a security risk.
- I am marching for the next generation of LGBT kids.
- I am marching because the straight people who professionally picket LGBT events think they speak for me when they absolutely do not.
- I am marching because of the woman in a store who thought it was a funny joke to say if Husband and I bought the rainbow colored band-aids it would turn us gay.
- I am marching to show LGBT people that not all straight people are narrow.
- I am marching for Harvey Milk.
- I am marching for Matthew Shepard.
- I am marching for YOU.
- I am marching for me.
Did you enjoy this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Condo Blues RSS Feed or to Condo Blues by Email.