I am Spring Cleaning my craft room. I need to reorganize the drawers in my sewing desk. Fortunately, another Spring Cleaning project gave me a bunch of empty boxes and jars - the perfect raw material to celebrate Earth Day with an upcycled organizer project.
I cut the boxes and a drink holder to fit inside the drawer. My custom organizers work well but they are not so cute. I gave them a fun makeover with Duck Brand® Tape ( find Duck Tape here) that not only looks prettier but makes the boxes sturdier than they would have been on their own. Bonus!
You will need:
Duck Tape® - There are tons of new colors and types including glitter!
Duck Glitter® Crafting Tapes in Pink and Sliver, Color Duck Tape® in Neon Green and Pink, Duck Tape® Ducklings in Chrome, Pink, Black, and Green.
Die cutting machine and circle dies
How to make Duck Tape® storage jars1. Cut three (or as many as needed depending upon the size of your jar lid) pieces of Duck Tape® Ducklings.
2. Overlap the pieces of Duck Tape® to each other to make a custom size horizontal sheet of Duck Tape®. You will use this technique throughout this tutorial.
You can cover the side edge of the lid with a piece of Duck Tape® Ducklings if you like.
3. Use the ruler and rotary cutter to cut a square from the Duck Tape® sheet to fit the jar lid.
4. Cover the jar with your Duck Tape® design. Use the scissors to trim the Duck Tape® as needed.
How to make Duck Tape® storage boxes
I decorated the inside of my storage boxes because I will see it more often than if I put the design on the side.
1. Cover the outside of the box using a combination of Neon Green Color Duck Tape® and Green Duck Tape® Ducklings.
We will make the finished edge in Step 4
2. Attach half of a strip of Chrome Duck Tape® Ducklings to the top of the box. Clip the Duck Tape® at the corners. This will make a cleaner corner when you fold the Duck Tape® over the top of the box to make a finished edge.
3. Cover the inside of the box with Sliver Duck Glitter® Crafting Tape.
The glitter doesn't shed!
4. Fold the Chrome Duck Tape® Ducklings over the top of the box to make the finished edge.
5. Fold lengths of Neon Green and Pink Duck Tape® on itself and use the die cutting machine to cut random size circles from the Duck Tape®
Fun!7. You can use also use technique to cover and reinforce the top and outside of a drink holder to use as a craft jar caddy.
8. Put it in your desk drawer and get organized!
For more information and Duck Tape® projects follow:
Did you enjoy this post? Get more like it by subscribing to the Condo Blues RSS Feed or to Condo Blues by Email.